Tuesday, 11 March 2014

Eat, Pray, Love


'The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page' Augustine of Hippo

I've recently finished reading this tale of one very brave woman's year.
I am sitting in a hotel room in Leicester awaiting a work event and her stories of India, Indonesia and Italy seem so gloriously far away from the real world.  Which is sort of her point- she took herself away from NYC after a bad divorce, failed love affair and general unhappiness and embarked on a year of self discovery- with wonderful effect, but it took a lot of guts, determination and praying! 

Now let me tell you, if you haven't figured it out already, I'm not a very spiritual person but this book really moved me.  Through her year of travelling and healing she learnt so much about how being happy is not something that just happens to you but something you have to constantly strive towards.  Certainly food for thought!


Liz, the author, meets some very special characters and has some wonderful adventures- i mean, who doesn't dream of hopping on a plane to Italy in search of some gorgeous mozzarella (or having a heady affair with a handsome Brazilian for that matter) - and at the end of her year is so much happier and fulfilled than she was when she landed in Rome a year earlier.
I'm not sure I'd ever be brave enough to step away from the 'rat race' even though it exhaustes me at times.  I very much enjoy my holidays and travels but as yet have not made the leap to 'long term traveller'. 
There are so many places I want to visit but I have not yet travelled East, I hope I will get to in the years to come.
The book did make me reasses my desires in life; what would you do if you had the means to escape from your reality for a year? 
And if you've read this book, what did you think? 

X

4 comments:

  1. I loved the movie - haven't read the book I must give it a go. Great post :)

    www.dancingthroughsunday.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for your comment - you must read it, it's so good and eye opening

      Delete
  2. Hi Gina, just found your blog and having a good old nosy round! I read this book a couple of years ago a really enjoyed it - although I did struggle with some of the spiritual stuff as it just doesn't quite sit right with me! I was actually lucky enough to spend a couple of weeks in Ubud when I was traveling round Bali and I loved it. I would love to go to Italy and India though! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes i agree with you - but loved the travelling stories

      Delete

Thanks for commenting - i read them all and love hearing your thoughts :)