Sunday, 6 April 2014

A Trip to San Francisco

“It's an odd thing, but anyone who disappears is said to be seen in San Francisco.
It must be a delightful city and possess all the attractions of the next world” 
― Oscar Wilde


Last week I took my first trip of the year, to San Francisco.  I have been waiting for this holiday for almost nine months - so you can imagine how excited I was to visit this city, with two friends, and to explore all the famous sights I could fit in.  (We also had a few days in Sin City but I'll blog about that separately).

As we only had three days we picked out all the things we wanted to see and tried to make a vague plan to visit each one before we ran out of time.  Like all the best plans, this one quickly went awry but I think we covered almost everything.

The only thing we booked in advance was Alcatraz (lucky really as it was booked up way ahead of time, so definitely follow my lead if you're going). This was possibly the highlight of my trip - despite the 12 storey slope to get to the cell tower - it was so interesting to see the inside of the prison and cells and also see the breathtaking view of freedom that the prisoners would have had daily.
As it's an island we took a ferry over to the prison with hundreds of other excited tourists.  We listened to the included audio tour which gave tidbits of info, interviews and insight into this famous building and its inhabitants.
We had a fab time taking slightly inappropriate photos in the cells and on the viewpoint area which had a great view of the city skyline and the Golden Gate Bridge.

Prisoners cell

Prison cells

Alcatraz from a distance

View from the island

After that we found a fabulous pizza place by accident (http://www.tonyspizzanapoletana.com) - my quest for yummy pizza continues wherever I am! Then to work it off we wandered through China Town, saw the seals at Pier 39, visited the Painted Ladies (6 identical picturesque houses), walked through Golden Gate Park and finally, had a roof top dinner in Union Square.
Painted Ladies

Golden Gate Park







































Our last day we decided to visit another iconic landmark, the Golden Gate Bridge.  After a wander through The Castro, a cable car ride and several bus journeys later, we finally made it to the viewpoint on the South side to take some photos.
Cable Car in San Fran



It really is quite a beautiful sight - and we managed to avoid the SF fog with this glorious sunshine.
San Francisco is gorgeous, I'd definitely go back and as we had to rush a little to see everything, I'd happily go back next week.
We stayed in a cute hotel (Hotel Union Sq) right by Union Sq which is really handy (especially for train to airport).  There's loads of shops, bars and restaurants near by which always makes life easier.  It was a great starting point for all our day tripping - plus it's flat! San Francisco is the hilliest place I ever did see - do not wear your heels to sight see… it was crazy, my calves were aching for the next two days - don't forget your post walk stretching.
Beware the hills!

Lombard Street - Hairpin turns


I had a great time in SF, can't wait to return!

Have you been? Where did you love?
x




5 comments:

  1. Yes i remembered it was Fishermans wharf x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed looking at your pictures of San Fran! We have a family friend out there and I'm hoping to take a trip out there next year as well. I'm new to the blog world, but have attempted to make a go at it. If you have some spare time, check out my blog and tell me what you think.

    http://thedivadiaries.wix.com/the-diva-diaries

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you have to get there, it's amazing :)

      Delete
  3. Great post, I really like it! I went to San Francisco like two weeks ago and I absolutely LOVED it, it's a wonderful city :D

    I write a blog about travelling and living in Spain, it would be awesome if you could go and check it ;) Thanks :D

    http://journeyofalonelybird.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. will def follow, sounds just like my kind of thing :)

      Delete

Thanks for commenting - i read them all and love hearing your thoughts :)