Friday, 25 April 2014

Novel Love - The Pursuit of Happiness

One of my very favourite books is The Pursuit of Happiness.  No, it's not what the Will Smith film is based on (although I love that too), it's a novel by Douglas Kennedy (http://www.douglaskennedynovelist.com) set in 1945 Manhattan. I won't spoil the story by giving too much away, but it focuses on a young writer who falls in love with an Army journalist.  Their chance meeting at a party changes both of their lives and the book follows their story across the decades.

My Mum bought the book prior to our first NYC trip for my 19th Birthday.  I have read it several times since (including right now(!) even though I first wrote this post some time ago) and find it to be touching, emotive, inspiring and at times completely crushing.  I've read several other novels by the same author, but this remains my favourite.  I've just received an Amazon package containing two more DK books, so I'll let you know my thoughts on those at a later date.

I'm normally a fan of crime fiction, which I'm sure will become apparent through my future blogs, but try to read different authors and genres when the mood takes me.
Douglas Kennedy often writes about very strong women, which I find interesting as he's obviously a male and I normally expect male writers to write more comfortably about male characters.
This story has definitely brought a tear or two to my eye and I eagerly await his next offering which is Five Days.


Buy the book here http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pursuit-Happiness-Douglas-Kennedy/dp/0099415372/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1393779374&sr=1-1&keywords=the+pursuit+of+happiness

Have you read any of his novels? What's your favourite book?

x

4 comments:

  1. Lovely post! I love a good weepy book, I've never heard of this author but I'll have to check him out. I was going to do some posts on books but not sure if anyone would be interested haha, nice to see I'm not the only booklover xxx

    Aisling | rosysmiles.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well thank you for reading!! get this book, you'll love it i'm sure

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a good book. I'm going to find it on amazon. I'm really excited to get back into reading.

    Lydia
    http://bitsofthisandthatblog.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting - i read them all and love hearing your thoughts :)