Sunday, 18 May 2014

Making the most of it

“I regret that it takes a life to learn how to live.” 
― Jonathan Safran FoerExtremely Loud and Incredibly Close


I heard a lyric from a song the other day called 'Nothing Stops Another Day' and it got me thinking.

It's so easy to put off the challenging things in life, thinking we have so much time to achieve what we're aiming for.  Sometimes, sadly, it just doesn't work out like you plan.  I have been reminded of this by young Stephen who very sadly died this week from cancer, but made sure that he left a legacy behind and was so positive right up to the end of his very short life.  He raised awareness and vital funds for the Teenage cancer Trust (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-27408908) which is just so inspiring and I hope you can donate or spread the word in order to continue his story.

If you knew you only had a limited time left what would you want to do, see and achieve?  It makes you think doesn't it… how much time we waste moaning and wishing and hoping…. I often use the phrase YOLO but more as an excuse to drink chocolate milk than as a reminder that you only have one chance to live your life.

I had a friend who died suddenly in his early 30s from an undiagnosed heart condition (you can read his Dad's story here).  He was such a positive person and definitely lived his life to the full for which I am grateful. His devastating and untimely death has at least taught me to try and be more daring and to enjoy the time we do have, instead of always being so careful and sensible!
If you would like to find out more about Cardiac Risk in the Young click here.


If you're interested the lyrics that got me so pensive are below;

I see the sunrise from my window, It must have risen everyday
But I couldn’t see at all, the shadows were too tall, 
But I am seeing it today
I could see the people speaking; 
I couldn’t hear a word they say
Just the echo of it all, passing through an empty hall, 
I’m hearing it today

Because the world keeps turning and I guess it always will
I can choose to turn around, 
Or I can choose to just stand still, Either way, nothing stops another day.


I hope this post hasn't made you miserable but perhaps encourages you to make sure that you make the most of every day.  What are your thoughts on the subject?

x

4 comments:

  1. I normally waste my time moaning and wishing and hoping, but now I am doing something about it. Sorry to hear about your friend, much love to you and respect for your friend.

    love,
    lauren

    xx

    http://lauren-ohara-x.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for your kind thought s

      Delete
  2. Great post! My husband was seriously ill a few years ago and it really changed me and the way I live my life. It's scary and a shock when something bad happens, especially when you're young. I try to tick things off 'The List' each year. Travel plans, personal goals etc :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you - yes exactly my aim too :)

      Delete

Thanks for commenting - i read them all and love hearing your thoughts :)