Sunday, 4 May 2014

Being Happy

“Count your age by friends, not years. Count your life by smiles, not tears.” 
― John Lennon


I really do believe that you make your own happiness - I must admit I may need reminding of this at 8.30 on a Monday morning, but relying on others to make you cheerful is a recipe for disaster.  I thought I'd share a few of the little things that can make my week so much better; 

  • Firstly, the sun! It's so rare in London to get a lovely sunny day, especially before the official Summer, and it really does cheer me up (unless I can't decide which summery outfit to wear!)


  • Yummy food and catch ups with friends.  I try to meet up with mates for dinner as much as I can (budget and workload permitting). There are so many amazing restaurants in London that, despite me having a personal menu of about 6 items, provide so much choice and variety.  My personal favourite as you may already know is pizza, but I also love American/Diner cuisine too.  From the blogs that I read I'm amassing a selection of places I'm keen to try. Top of my list at the moment is the Mac and Cheese pop up in Bayswater, mainly as they serve deep fried Oreos (a personal favourite of mine and hard to find in London).  Having a good natter with people you love is such a lovely way to lift your mood and non stop laughter has got to be part of the happiness recipe.

  • Watching my favourite sit coms.  Sad as it may sound, after a busy week or day at work sometimes there's nothing better than coming home to a double bill of The Big Bang Theory. It doesn't even matter if I've seen the episode a hundred times before.  Other personal favourites include Sex and the City, Friends, Will and Grace, 2 Broke Girls, Benidorm, Outnumbered and obviously Eastenders and Corrie which I'm totally hooked on.  I like to think of it as research for work, but that's basically a lie….
  • Getting a new book.  As an avid reader there's not much better than a new book. That crisp spine and fresh pages just waiting to be turned!  On holiday I can read 6 or 7 books in a week, during normal working time I probably read 1 or maybe 2 if they're a real page turner.
  • Photographs. Photos are my passion. A a child growing up, before digital photography took off, you had a camera with a 27 exposure film and you put them in for developing hoping that you'd have your eyes open and not your thumb over the flash.  That lead to a lack of childhood photos and almost no home video. I'm determined to rectify that during my adulthood and seem to be chief photographer in my family.  For my last birthday I got a camcorder and now take as much video as I can get away with so that we'll never forget the 2000s!  Whenver I'm feeling a bit down I have a good look through my pics ( I print out all my favourites and put them in albums) and it cheers me up no end.  The 100 Happy Days challenge was a great tool for me to use my photography love to remind me to be happy every day.. That challenge finished yesterday (for the whole 100 click here) and now I feel bereft.  I might start a new photo challenge on a similar theme.
  • The most important might be music.  If I wake up feeling grumpy and then listen to some of my favourite tunes on my commute, by the time I get to work I'm cheerful! What an amazing thing.  My music tastes lie mainly in pop and R&B, but if I need to have my mood lifted then I tend to listen to a musical soundtrack - either Bonnie & Clyde (yes I know it's about murder, but the music is great!), Rent or currently, the Smash soundtracks.  I've just finished watching the 2nd series and I loved it.
Weirdly carousels also make me happy! This pic is at the Wynn Hotel, Vegas

Well I think that's quite enough of my rambling for now, what makes you happy?

x


13 comments:

  1. I don't remember the last time I had a minute spare to read a book but I definitely need to make some time for it because it's definitely something that used to make me happy. I do miss the escapism that comes with it. At the moment wine makes me extremely happy!

    Lydia
    http://bitsofthisandthatblog.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha whatever floats your boat!

      Delete
  2. I definitely agree with you that you make your own happiness. I think to a certain extent people can choose to be happy or not in life so I find it difficult to spend too much time with those who choose to be negative about things.

    The thing that's making me most happy at the moment is being able to sit in my lounge and have the window open and the breeze blowing in and the sun shining through. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes - thats exactly what I'm doing right now while I write my next blog, thanks for your comment :)

      Delete
  3. sunshine makes me so happy! i love the wynn in vegas I have been to that exact spot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. isn't it gorge, thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  4. Ah I will be in Vegas next month, I must stop by and see this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's amazing - and make sure you have a drink at the parasol up/down bar at the wynn too it's gorgeous

      Delete
  5. Loved this post!! Can so relate about the sun!! My days are so much better if I wake up to sun as compared to a gloomy day! I love love love Big Bang theory and a sit com and totally cheer you up! All these tips are great! So happy to have come across this post through Jenny's Sunday Funday challenge! Hope you have a great day hun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much! glad you enjoyed my post :)

      Delete
  6. Love this post! I totally relate about the sunny days - they were here for a bit and now they've gone?! They need to come back, haha. Also, I loooove the Rent soundtrack, it always puts me in a good mood for some reason. :) x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting - i read them all and love hearing your thoughts :)