Monday, 26 May 2014

Sliding Doors

“There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be...” ― John Lennon

This weekend I had a bizarre case of happenstance and it got me thinking about fate.  I often use the phrase 'what's meant to be will be' but in actually fact I'm not sure I even actually believe that!  Is fate an easy way to believe that we're not in control of our destiny? Or really something that's beyond our comprehension and something we should just accept?

However this weekend in a 'Sliding Doors'-esque manner, I ran into three friends in less than 24 hours in various parts of London that I rarely visit - one friend even lives in LA and arrived in London about 3 hours before I saw him.  What are the actual chances of that happening? 
Now on Friday night, sitting outside a restaurant on the Southbank, I got pooed on by a bird….. I was not very happy I can tell you, and I've convinced myself that the 'lucky' bird poo is responsible for this unusual occurrence!


If it's not bird poo that I have to thank, and let's face it that would be an awkward conversation, then I just don't know what made that series of meetings happen in such a short space of time - it really was very odd (but enjoyable!).

I've always thought I was responsible for my own story, but if you rely on fate to guide you through then does it makes every disaster seem less important as you can just think 'oh well it would have happened whatever…'? I just don't quite know what to think!

What are your thoughts on fate? Do you think everything is pre destined? 

x


6 comments:

  1. I don't believe everything is pre destined but that we make our own path! However it's crazy you ran into your friends like that!! So maybe I should change my beliefs haha :) I never had bird poo on me, but I'm sure Karma has it in store for me someday hahaha :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. karmic bird poo eh!! Yes i think that we make our own choices too - fate sounds like the easy option doesnt it

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if I believe in destiny or in coincidence, but that's pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting - i read them all and love hearing your thoughts :)