Friday, 30 May 2014

Thing's I've learned

“Growing up happens when you start having things you look back on and wish you could change -Clary Fray” ― Cassandra Clare, City of Ashes

I've read a few posts recently which are along the theme of 'things i know now' and I feel inspired to jot down my own thoughts on my growing up process.

As a perpetual 21 year old I feel like I've had a good shot at learning what not to do, I think having regrets must be one of the most disappointing things about getting older and although I have some regrets already, I'm determined not to add to them if possible.








My tips for coping with growing up;


  • Sometimes you have to be a little bit naughty - This may or may not be a lyric from Matilda the musical, but I still think it applies.  I'm a good girl by nature and normally play by the rules, but just occasionally you need to be a bit daredevil and take the risk!
  • He's just not that into you - Now this is a definite must, the sooner you can be ok with this the better.  Inspired by Miranda from SATC (cringe I know) but it made me realise that you can't change people's feelings - and that's ok.. 
  • Travel - as much as possible.  You learn so much from experiencing other cultures and meeting people from all over the world.  Get out there and see it!

  • Do what makes YOU happy - A lot of people seem to spend most of their time making sure other people are happy, sometimes at the cost of their own happiness. Whilst it's lovely to be a good and nice person, you have to make sure you're happy too. What makes you the most happy? Well then please go and do it before it's too late!
  • Save - Being financially independent is a sure fire way to happiness.  Knowing you can pay your bills and afford the clothes/holidays/jewellery/trips you want is gratifying. So although buying stuff is fun, make sure you're sensible with it so that you always have something for a rainy day.  I just bought my first flat which took a lot of hard saving and the reward is definitely worth it.

  • Speak up - I'm a big advocate of standing up for what you think is right.  Too many people are scared to speak up when they don't think agree with something. Of course there are times when exercising caution is necessary, but if you believe in something then perhaps the confrontation is worth it?  I'm not suggesting you put yourself in danger to make a point, but that if people make comments that you don't agree with, it might just be worth making your feelings known.  I will not accept homophobic, racist, sexist or xenophobic language around me and will always stand up for myself.
  • Laugh as much as possible - It took me a long time to realise that working hard and saving hard did not necessarily make life fun, and as we know time flies by so fast, there is no point wasting a single day. Don't look back at 30, 40 or 50 and say 'I wish I...'
  • Listen to your gut instinct - I feel so strongly about this that I had a tattoo of a Christina Aguilera lyric 'Trust the voice within'.  I think your gut does tell you what the right decision is on most occasions, so listen to it.  Whenever I go against the grain and trust my head instead - I'm wrong!
  • Exercise makes you feel good (as does eating biscuits) - I type this having just returned from a workout, I ache and I'm knackered, but I feel good for getting my heart racing and melting some lard!
What top tips would you give to someone growing up? Or even advice you wish you'd listened to?

x

2 comments:

  1. i love this post, especially the point about doing what makes you happy! id love it if youd comment back http://amyelizabethfashion.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/southbeachsummer-event.html xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting - i read them all and love hearing your thoughts :)