Saturday, 13 September 2014

7 tips for a novice boat passenger

“You can’t believe how bleeding scary the sea is! There’s, like, whales and storms and shit! They don’t bloody tell you that!” 
― Libba BrayBeauty Queens


Having returned from a successful sailing holiday in Turkey (surely 5 days at sea makes you a pro??), I thought I'd share my top 7 tips for a novice sailor.  I won't include the most obvious which is take someone with you (or hire someone) who can sail... I'll assume you're smart enough to know that's a necessity!

1) Leave your heels at home - I don't think I wore shoes for 4 days straight!  I practically lived in a swimming costume and a kaftan.  

2) Charge your phone, camera, toothbrush etc before you go - electricity on a sailing boat is a luxury that's not always available. (oh and be ready to miss days worth of Facebooking - there is no wifi at sea)
3) Pack light. I decided on a whim to take a carry on case instead of my normal big suitcase and I'm glad I did.  Storage is not often plentiful.
4) Seek the shade.  I liberally douse myself in Factor 50 on every holiday, but with little shade available when sailing you need to be extra careful. The water is reflective, you're in and out of the sea and it's easy to forget that you've been outside the entire day.

5) If you're feeling sea sick watch the horizon - it really helps.  We did one sail that was in 'moderate' wind.  It did not feel moderate to me!  Watching the waves move and the horizon bobbing about made my stomach settle even though I wanted to hide 'down below'.
6) Be ready to be brave if it's a new experience for you.  I had to really grit my teeth sometimes but I wanted to experience everything on offer.
7) Learn the lingo.  I feel like I've learnt loads about sailing, even just by watching my friends doing it for a few days. Knowing your 'tiller' from your 'cock pit' really helps when orders are being shouted along the boat during a sail.


I had such a great time - I'd definitely recommend it for an adventure. I won't lie, it's not always glamorous but it's an amazing experience and I'd happily do it again.

x

6 comments:

  1. This sounds wonderful! I would love to go sailing. I have a friend who sails regularly, hoping he will take us soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. make sure you do, its really fun :)

      Delete
  2. I've never been on a sail boat, something I'd love to try
    Lauren
    livinginaboxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. its really fun but takes some getting used to

      Delete
  3. My dad used to own yachts which we raced. Awesome fun. Sounds like you had a fabulous time!
    http://www.sweetwordsprettypictures.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was fun, and got me over my fear of boats (sort of)

      Delete

Thanks for commenting - i read them all and love hearing your thoughts :)