“The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.”
― Lao Tzu
As I"m off on my final holiday of the year very soon I thought I'd run through a pre holiday hand luggage checklist, partly to remind myself what to take and hopefully to let you in on a few travel tips.
I like to take the biggest hand luggage I can get away with so that I can fit in all the 'essential' items I buy in DutyFree. I usually take my Jocasi leather holdall and it always ends up stuffed full.
My hand luggage essentials are;
1) Passport and travel docs
2) Money- some GBP and some local currency
3) Emergency pants and toothbrush - in case of the dreaded lost luggage
4) A camera - I normally take 2 or 3 different cameras with me, depending on type of holiday, but I'll always put one in my hand luggage for any travelling snaps.
5) A book - at least one if not two
6) My door keys and travelcard - no one wants to arrive home and get stranded
7) Sunglasses - to cover a multitude of sins on arrival
My most frequent holiday companion likes to get to the airport at the last possible minute, I like to arrive in plenty of time so I can have a mooch round the make up department. Once through security I tend to buy body lotion, a snack for the plane (god forbid I get hungry on board), any toiletries I've forgotten (there is ALWAYS something), perhaps some perfume or make up treats and on the way back from any European destination; chocolate covered Oreos - my absolute favourite. Oh and most important, in an ideal world there's time for a MacDonald's breakfast too.
Then you can get on the plane, relaxed and ready for your break, be it city madness or beach side chill. I am so looking forward to a relaxing break this time round so look out for my post trip blogposts.
What are your hand luggage absolute essentials?