Friday, 31 October 2014

A day in Cologne

“It is better to fill your head with useless knowledge than no knowledge at all.” 
― Jim HinckleyRoute 66 Backroads: Your Guide to Scenic Side Trips & Adventures from the Mother Road

This week I took a day out of the office and headed to Cologne for a work event.
I stupidly booked myself a very early flight and had to get up in the dark which was not ideal.  But after a flight shorter than my commute to Heathrow I found myself in the German city of Koln (to us non Germans, that's Cologne).

I checked into my lovely room at the Radisson Blu, had a very quick sit down and social media check (thank heavens for free wifi) and then decided to go for a wander round downtown.





I got chatting to a lovely receptionist who convinced me to take the tram to Neumarkt for a look round.  Normally on holiday I like to take taxis as a treat, but I thought i'd be brave and investigate the tram. Sadly the Christmas markets don't open for another month so I had to content myself with the usual shops, but I had a good gander don't you worry!

The main attraction in Cologne seems to be the Kolner Dom so I made sure that I (eventually) found my way there to have a look. I admit it was pretty special although it's a shame the sun wasn't out.







When it started to rain I admitted defeat and got a cab back to the hotel for a nap before my work evening out.  *Cabs work on a meter and were actually really expensive, so bear that in mind if you're heading to Cologne.
Then after a short snooze I got dressed up and headed out for my event.  I wore my trusty Aldo boots with an Oasis shirt dress.  The evening ended up a bit longer than I expected - perhaps down to these vodka injection shots!  Sadly I was still awake at 4am which was not what I'd intended... the morning after was a bit of a challenge.



x

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see Rom sightseeing is rubbing off on you! Bit a culcha ...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting - i read them all and love hearing your thoughts :)