Saturday, 25 October 2014

Blogtober - My Favourite Book

“Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.” 
― Lemony SnicketHorseradish


I must admit I haven't taken part in Blogtober14, but having seen Helene's link up today and being such a book fan I thought I'd partake in today's prompt - My Favourite Book.
So, if I had to pick one favourite book (which now I think about it is quite a challenge) I think I'd have to go for The Girl in Times Square by Paullina Simons.

The 'blurb' says 'Meet Lily Quinn. She is broke, struggling to finish college, pay her rent, find love...Startling revelations about the people she loves force her to confront truths that will leave her changed forever.'

Landed with rather dysfunctional parents, a political brother and a surly detective investigating her roommate's disappearance, Lily's life turns into a rollercoaster and I literally couldn't put the book down.  I first read this book years ago and I've read it many times since- always recommending it to friends on the way.  There's something about this story that totally hooked me and there's an underlying karma balance thing going on within it too which really intrigues me.
I love a big chunky book that I know will take me a while to read and this definitely fit the bill. I mainly read crime fiction and although this book has a bit of detective thing going on it's more about life, love and family than anything else.  I've read a couple of others by the same author but this is definitely the winner in my opinion!

As it's so difficult to pick one book I thought I'd share some of my favourite childhood books too;
The Runaways
Goodnight Mr Tom
Dancing Shoes
Drina Ballerina
So if you are, or know, a teenage reader send them to Waterstones immediately.

If I've inspired you to read The Girl in Times Square then let me know what you think of it.
x

5 comments:

  1. That book sounds interesting and relatable, I'll add it to my "to read" list!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great read! Fun blog! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting - i read them all and love hearing your thoughts :)