Sunday, 30 October 2016

Keeping in touch

“There is nothing better than a friend, unless it is a friend with chocolate.”
― Linda Grayson 


I'm lucky enough to have lots of friends, made and found over my years of school, college, work and from all different walks of life. The trouble is the tending to these friendships; it's very easy to let contact slide in the busy day to day of our frantic lives and suddenly realising that you havent seen a friend for months, or caught up for weeks can leave you feeling horribly guilty.
I pride myself on being a 'good at keeping in touch' friend. My best friend lives in Las Vegas and so I certainly dont get to see them as often as I'd like, we make sure we text as often as possible - often three times a day! Other friends who I'm super close to I often text on an hourly basis and others I check in via FB messenger on a weekly basis.  The point is, you make time for those you want to make time for.  There have been many times when I've been frustrated at friends who are so bad at keeping in contact that I've ended up letting those relationships slide.  Being the only one to ever text or arrange plans gets draining. I'm definitely the organiser in most of my friendships so I'm always so pleased when someone else suggests a fun plan. 

I definitely believe in the notion that you don't have to see a friend every day/week in order to still get on, but I notice that friends I see once a year get the highlights whereas friends I see every week/month get the gory details. Maybe there's a reason some people only want to see me now and then.....


This weekend I'm meeting up with a close friend I havent seen for 18 months; we've been drifting apart as she lives out of London, has a baby and clearly doesnt have a lot of time to spend texting her friends from college. It's been making me sad, but I'd decided to let it go and was so pleased when with one final nudge she offered a date she was free for brunch, chat and shopping. I'm really excited to see her and hope we can rekindle our dwindling bond

Nothing is better for the soul than spending time with people who know you and love you anyway. Who want the best for you, tell you when you're being ridiculous, who make you laugh til you cry, know all about your family and wouldn't think twice about crossing London to come and help you when you need it.  Sure there are friends who are better at advice, more fun for nights out, inspiring to your career or health or great at DIY, but treasure them all and if you're reading this thinking 'oh shit i havent text * for a while' then pick up your phone and do it NOW.

x

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting - i read them all and love hearing your thoughts :)