Monday, 5 December 2016

24 hours in Paris

“If you are lucky enough to have lived in Paris as a young man, then wherever you go for the rest of your life, it stays with you, for Paris is a moveable feast.”
― Ernest Hemingway,
A Moveable Feast

It's not often, but occasionally I wangle a work trip to somewhere glamourous. This week I luckily had a trip to Paris. A fleeting one, including a very early start and a head cold - but still...
 
After a smooth trip on the Eurostar and a successful navigation of the Metro system, I checked into the Novotel Les Halles, right in the centre of Paris and a block or two from the river.  My room was lovely and after finding an English radio station playing Little Mix I was raring to go exploring.
Sadly not being organised enough to bring a map I had to make do with big laps that included regular returns to my starting point so that I didn't get lost at night fall. But I managed a trip to Notre-Dame, which is stunning. The sun was so bright I was furious I'd forgotten my sunglasses and squinted all day.

notre-dame-paris

notre-dame

river-seine
Feeling very French (and hungry) I stopped for a solo croque monsieur which was delicious.  Thank goodness for Kindles hey?

As I mentioned, i wasn't technically there for fun, but for work, so after a power nap I got dressed up and ventured back out, high on an accidental overdose of French cold tablets. I managed to find the venue without getting lost (yay me) and it was absolutely beautiful.  What a theatre! 

After the performance we went for wine on top of the Pompidou centre.  We travelled up about 4 escalators on the outside of the building before crossing an outside courtyard.
The restaurant is lovely but the views - what a treat  - I felt like Carrie Bradshaw.  At midnight the tower sparkles, no photo could do it justice, but it did feel pretty special sitting on top of the world watching it.

Rosie made a great little gif https://goo.gl/images/Pss8nY

After a decent night's sleep and in search of breakfast I headed out towards Sacre Coeur and Hardware Societe which I'd seen on Insta.  After a hike up about a thousand steps I managed to find it and stuffed my face with some delicious eggs in the sunshine.




A quick tour of Sacre Coeur, which is gorgeous and then it was time to battle back to the Eurostar and wing my way home.  Paris is lovely, my rusty French came out to play and I'd happily go back - perhaps with a map and some more time. 

x


 

1 comment:

Thanks for commenting - i read them all and love hearing your thoughts :)