Monday, 6 February 2017

London Winter Run for Cancer Research

“Run when you can, walk if you have to, crawl if you must; just never give up.”
― Dean Karnazes


My friend managed to convince me to sign up to the London Winter Run one night when I was clearly in a good mood, which I regretted almost immediately after.  I run on the treadmill and attempt the occasional 5k, but running is not my forte and a charity 10k seemed pretty daunting.
After spending the whole of December eating, drinking and then going to Vegas I was slightly alarmed to find I only had 4 weeks to get myself 10k ready.

I decided to run twice a week, outside, one short 5/6k and  one long 7/8k in the hope that if I was used to that then the adrenaline of the London Winter Run would carry me through the last 2k. 
I got an early night and a big portion of pasta the night before (bonus) and then on the morning of the 5th I woke up super early, nervous and apprehensive. I got a handful of 'good luck' texts which just made me more anxious - suddenly I felt loads of pressure, I'd been sponsored over £400 to finish it, so finish it I would.

There was a good atmosphere down in Trafalgar Sq, but a fair bit of hanging around/warming up and waiting. It was super cold and my hands were getting quite chilly in my running gear. Suddenly there was a burst of action and we were off!  (rubbish quality pics below but you get the idea!)



Surprisingly I found it much easier than I expected, we walked a few times - my friend's knee was suffering, but I didnt get short of breath, or a stitch - I guess the scenery and entertainment kept me going.  My running app beeped a 10k when we were still a way away from the finish line.. so we're going with the app for timings as the finish line seemed to be almost 11k along. 
Running across the line, at Whitehall and collecting our badges was a cool moment, literally, we were so cold almost as soon as we'd finished running.
We had a quick pic with a friendly dog (no idea what his connection to the event was haha) and then scarpered back to our coats and scarves.
I managed to raise £440 which I'm pretty happy about and hopefully Cancer Research will put it all to good use. With 16000+ runners hopefully a couple of MILLION was raised, which is amazing.
Someone asked me if I'd do another and the more I think about it, the more likely it sounds

x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting - i read them all and love hearing your thoughts :)