Sunday, 11 June 2017

Finlake Holiday Resort - Devon

"I want
To do with you what spring does with the cherry trees."
— Pablo Neruda (Twenty Love Poems and a Song of Despair) 


To celebrate the Bank Holiday I travelled down to Devon with a group of friends for an adventure at Finlake Holiday resort. We had an easy journey down, flying past Stonehenge and stopping in a grotty Little Chef for toasties and a rest.
Our chalet was a pleasant surprise; airy, roomy, gorgeous terrace complete with hot tub, spacious rooms and a powerful shower. All the little niggles we had were solved in good time and as it was out of school holidays we basically had the place to ourselves. 
Waking up to views like this is definitely good for the soul. Peaceful, quiet (apart from my friends), calm and unhurried. Just what you need on a countryside break. I got lucky and had the upstairs room to myself, complete with little balcony. It was nice to be able to chill in peace and really relax.


We explored the whole resort (it's massive with a pool, bar, restaurant, shop and holiday homes, static homes, chalets etc all around the lake), we ate too much - breakfast is so much better when someone's cooked it for you, although my scrambled egg 'constructive criticism' didn't go down too well....

On one of the days we decided to throw caution to the wind and take a horse riding lesson. I was less nervous than i expected and less nervous than I should have been! No matter how fun I thought it'd be, sitting 6 feet up on something you aren't in control of is pretty nervewracking.
It was fun, but I couldn't relax and my lovely, stable horse Mabel was not in a hurry, despite my constant encouragement. I was not the teacher's pet!
As the sun went down we cracked open the prosecco and jumped into our private hot tub, such a luxury. Although I had about 20 mins relaxing and then had to get out - I'm such a fidget.  Sure the cleaners had a fit when they saw how much we'd drunk in 4 days. But, when in Rome......
 Finlake suited us beautifully and we were all sad to leave. Plus it's within driving distance of Exeter and Torquay if you need a change of scene. Not sure I'd want to visit in the summer holidays, but we had a wonderful time while it was quiet.

x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting - i read them all and love hearing your thoughts :)