Friday, 9 June 2017

Rainbow Bagels

“Flour and butter, cream and sugar, words and images -all the ingredients for a rich, tasty story.”
― Rona Simmons, The Quiet Room 


On Sunday, needing a day of chill at home I decided to bake something. Having never made bread before I decided to make muti-coloured bagels from scratch. I'd say I don't know what inspired me, but it was Tanya Burr actually - so she's to blame for my bagel bloat.
I set off to Tesco, bought half of the baking aisle and set to work. 

Getting the dough to colour was probably the hardest bit, turns out Tesco's food colourings aren't very strong... the pics I've seen of some of the American creations are so vivid. Mine ended up more pastel coloured.


Also rolling out the dough was a bit of a challenge.. perhaps I should have started with something more simple!

This bit was fun, don't they look cool.  I definitely could have made 7 bagels out of this recipe, but only made 5. A couple of them ended up enormous, so something to bear in mind when you have a go.  Once they were cooled I topped them with cream cheese frosting, some sprinkes and tucked right it. They were delicious. 
As they have no preservatives they won't last fresh very long, so to keep them longer perhaps cut them in half and freeze until needed. 

 
Is it acceptable to have rainbow bagels with all meals from now on? 
I followed Tanya's recipe (if you want to have a go look here) and let me know how you get on. It's not too tricky although definitely time consuming and lots of steps to follow.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting - i read them all and love hearing your thoughts :)